This is Drill #4 in the HockeyShot Stickhandling Series. Create good stickhandling habits when you work on this basic drill. Develop control when handling the puck at different positions. View the video and follow the techniques below.
For the lateral handling drill, you will use the same hockey and hand position as you did in the basic stick handling drill. Begin by practicing stick handling in front of your body and then moving the puck to your left side and right side by rotating your upper body.
- Keep the blade of your stick square on the flooring tiles
- Cup the puck from forehand to backhand by lifting your stick over the puck and rolling your wrists
- Maintain controlled, fluent movement and feel the puck on the center of your blade
- Do not tap the ice/floor
- Start slowly and progress faster once you feel comfortable with the stick handling action
- Keep your head up and use your peripheral vision to see the puck