This is Drill #6 in the HockeyShot Stickhandling Series. Create good stickhandling habits when you work on this figure-8 drill. This is a drill you can create with just some pucks. View the video and follow the techniques below.
For this drill, you will use the same hockey and hand position as you did in the basic stick handling drill. Place 2 pucks about 2 feet apart and stick handle through the pucks in a figure 8 motion by rolling your wrists and cupping the puck on your forehand and backhand.
Extend your reach from side to side and forward to back by keeping your arms relaxed and your bottom hand in a loose but firm grip on the shaft. As you become more comfortable and pick up speed by practicing this exercise, begin to increase the distance between the pucks.
- Flexible rolling action with your top wrist to cup the puck
- Keep your arms relaxed and your bottom hand in a loose but firm grip
- Maintain controlled, fluent movement and feel the puck on the center of your blade
- Start slowly and progress faster once you feel comfortable with the stick handling action
- Keep your head up and use your peripheral vision to see the puck