This is Drill #28 in the HockeyShot Stickhandling Series. Have you been practicing your toe drags? Using HockeyShot training tools makes it easy to progress your skills. Check out the drill below to work on your toe drags at home.
Set up 4 sections of the HockeyShot Extreme Dangler stick handling tool horizontally in front of you. Stand at the end and use the training tool as a hurdle to toe drag around. Once you have completed the toe drag continue movement forward and pass the puck in training tool hole and execute a longer toe drag.
Start by executing a small toe drag and progressively increase the length.
- Rolling action with your top wrist
- Be sure that the puck is in the center of your toe blade before pulling back
- Use a "J" shape motion pattern
- Catch the puck in the middle of your blade at the bottom of the training tool
- Keep your arms relaxed and your bottom hand in a loose but firm grip
- Maintain controlled, fluent movement and feel the puck on your blade
- Start slowly and progress faster once you feel comfortable with the stick handling action
- Keep your head up and use your peripheral vision to see the puck